Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Zesty One Pot Lemon Chicken Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Artichokes

I feel like I haven't shared a pasta recipe on my blog in a really long time, which is insane considering how much I love pasta.  When I say love, I mean love ... I could literally eat it every day for the rest of my life and be happy.

One of the main reasons I love pasta so much is the fact that you can pair almost anything with it and it will taste amazing ... And the stuff added to the pasta dish I'm sharing today is no exception.

This is another "one pot wonder" that's perfect for hectic weeknights.  Though, if I'm being honest, I didn't have high hopes when I stumbled across the original recipe.  It didn't sound bad or anything, but I made something kind of similar several months ago, and it was just "meh."  Not bad, but not good.  (Hence why it hasn't made an appearance on the blog.)

I'm so glad I decided to try it anyway, though, because it was awesome!  Out of all of the dishes I've made recently, this is one of my absolute favorites.  And even though Eric isn't quite the pasta lover I am, this got his stamp of approval as well ... So it's definitely a keeper!

LemonChickenOnePot1
My only issue with this dish is that it doesn't photograph that well.  That's what I get for using wheat pasta, I guess ... Everything looks brown.










































Zesty One Pot Lemon Chicken Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Artichokes

Adapted from a recipe on Yellow Bliss Road.


Ingredient List:
  • 1 box short pasta (I used whole wheat rotini.)
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced (I didn't use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil for this, but you probably could as long as all of the oil is drained from the tomatoes you're adding to the meal.)
  • 1 6.5 oz. jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained of all liquid
  • 2 lemons (You could reduce this to 1 lemon if you want the sauce a little less tangy/zesty.)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 3 cloves garlic (or, if you're lazy like me, the equivalent of jarred, pre-minced garlic)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp sea salt, divided
  • 2 tsp black pepper, divided
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

LemonChickenOnePot2
Cheesy and tangy with a little kick ... This meal is awesome!

Instructions:

1.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds (or until fragrant).

2.  Add the cubed chicken, onion powder, oregano, 1 tsp sea salt, and 1 tsp black pepper to the skillet.  Turn the heat up slightly to medium high and cook the meat until browned.

3.  Add the uncooked pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper, chicken broth, water, and white wine.  Stir to combine, then squeeze in the juice from the lemons.

4.  Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often.

5.  Turn the heat down to medium high and allow the mixture to cook uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated (about 7-9 minutes).  (Make sure you continue to stir regularly!)

6.  Once the liquid has evaporated and the pasta has completely cooked through, turn the heat to low and add the mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese.  Stir well to blend the cheeses into the sauce.

7.  Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over the top.  Cover and allow to sit until the cheese has melted.

As you can see from the second picture, I served this dish with a simple green salad and a glass of white wine.  (I highly recommend pairing it with white wine because it really brings out the tangy flavor of the sauce!)

As I said earlier, I'm so glad I decided to try this.  The original recipe kept popping up on Pinterest every time I searched for one pot meals, and after about the 100th time I saw it, I figured I might as well give it a try.  I feel like with the changes I made, it turned into the perfect quick and easy pasta dinner for us.  I can't wait to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment